Live Well

7:30 AM


Self-care is hard work.

Phew. I said it. And I feel relieved at the honesty. Since November, I have had the desire to re-incorporate more things that I love into my schedule. These include:

1. Date night
2. Time with friends and family
3. Reading
4. Writing
5. Yoga
6. Meditation
7. Music

For me, these are parts of my self-care. They are things I need to stay sane, to function and live well. Yet, back in November, I got into a cycle of working 12 hours days. As early as 7 a.m., I would get so busy, anxiously responding to emails and strategic planning that I would often find myself in the middle of one task, jumping to another task, remembering that I didn't complete the other task, coming back to the first task, while my mind wanders to a third task and then, BAM, it's almost 10 p.m. Not good, friends. Not good at all for my mental/physical/spiritual/emotional wellbeing.

In a heart to heart with my therapist, I decided to make some changes. I decided to begin scheduling time for self-care. Sounds simple enough. Yet, here I am almost a week later, new planner in hand, computer tabs aplenty, and I have barely scheduled anything through this week, let alone for the month.

Self-care is easier said than done.

Trying to schedule in time to go to a yoga class or put date night on the calendar or set aside an hour for a phone call with a friend. It feels exhausting. And I keep asking myself, what if I don't feel like it when the time comes? Trying to predict how future Pam will feel about her schedule is tiring. I keep signing up for yoga classes and then canceling. Or researching a new book, then hesitating to purchase it for my kindle. Then trying to plan date night, but not putting it on the calendar because what if we're both exhausted??

I know, I'm overthiking it. But fear is a helluva thing yall. When I shared my worries with my counselor, she paused thoughtfully and said:

"I bet if you try it, you'll find that it excites you more than it scares you."

I think she's right.  After that, a friend of mine asked me some basic questions to help me start organizing my life:
1. What feels important? 
2. What fills you up? 
3. What's not serving you? 

 My friends, I encourage you to do the same. Just try it. We can do it together. I am thinking hard about these questions every day as I am committed to creating a schedule that will allow me to work normal hours, and fill my life with the many other things that I love.

Let's fill our lives with the things we love most and see if our wellbeing continues to grow.

Unapologetically,
Pam

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Self care is SO hard! We are on the same page (as we so often are) and you have really shared great insights here with these basic questions for the new year! Can't wait to try it with you! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie! Sorry I am just now seeing your comment, but better late than never! Thank you so much, always, for your support. Some days, I'm really good at determining what's important and some days I'm not lol. It's a work in progress. I'm happy I have these basic questions though to help guide me. I'm happy we are on the same journey <3

      Delete
  2. It is an interesting post. Now, Share Trending news today online by reporting it with NewzKast - The news App of 2021.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2024 Unapologetically Pam. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.